We neither affirm or deny the word 'direction' [al Jihah] to Allaah, but look to see what is meant by it.
9.1 IF WHAT IS MEANT IS THE DIRECTION OF
- Then this is to be denied from Allaah, because He is the Most High and has made Highness obligatory for Himself and His Attributes.
9.2 IF WHAT IS MEANT IS THE DIRECTION OF ABOVE
AND HE IS SURROUNDED BY THIS DIRECTION
- Then this is to be denied from Allaah.
- He is too Mighty and Majestic to be surrounded by anything created.
- And indeed, His [created] foot-stool extends over the heavens and the earth.
- Also refer to Qur'aan (39):67.
9.3 IF WHAT IS MEANT IS THE DIRECTION OF ABOVE,
BEFITTING HIS MAJESTY AND GREATNESS, WITHOUT BEING SURROUNDED BY THIS
- Then this is correct and obligatory for Him and is to be affirmed for Him.
- refer to quote from 'Abdul-Qaadir al-Jeelaanee.
9.4 IF SOMEONE WERE TO SAY:
"If you deny that anything of Allaah's creation can surround Him, then what do you say about ... that Allaah ... is "in" [fee] the sky [or heaven] [as-Samaa].
- Then the reply is that Him being "in" the sky does not necessarily mean He is surrounded by the sky/heaven. Especially when knowing that He is the Full Master of everything and the Qur'aan (39):67.
- So the meaning of "in the sky [or heaven]" is of two possibilities:
9.4.1 THAT "SKY" MEANS
i.e. that Allaah is in the above - i.e. the direction of above.
- This meaning for "sky" as "above" is established in the Qur'aan (30):24 - as rain comes from the clouds and not the sky.
9.4.2 THAT "IN" MEANS "UPON"
i.e. that Allaah is upon the sky - i.e. upon the heaven.
- This meaning for "in" as "upon" is established in many places in the Qur'aan e.g. (9):2