7.1 "LEAVE THEM ALONE AS THEY WERE
REPORTED, WITHOUT [RELATING] HOW"
- Related from Makhool, az-Zuhree, Maalik bin Anas, Sufyaan ath-Thawree, al-Layth bin Sa'd and al-Awzaa'ee.
7.1.1 IT REFUTES THE PEOPLE OF TA'TEEL.
i.e. the part saying "Leave them alone as they were reported"
7.1.2 IT REFUTES THE PEOPLE OF TASHBEEH
i.e. the part saying "without [relating] how"
7.1.3 IT PROVES THAT THE SALAF DID CONFIRM THE
CORRECT MEANINGS BEFITTING ALLAAH
For the texts dealing with the Attributes, from two angles:
126.96.36.199 The Part Saying "Leave them Alone as
they were Reported" Means: to leave alone the meanings.
- And if they believed there was no meaning to the words, they would have said: "Leave the words alone and don't delve into the meaning"
188.8.131.52 The Part Saying "Without [relating]
How" clearly shows affirmation of the real meaning.
- Otherwise they would not need to deny asking or relating how.
7.2 "WE BELIEVE IN THEM AND AFFIRM THEM,
WITHOUT [RELATING] HOW AND WITHOUT MEANING"
-Related by al Imaam Ahmad concerning the hadeeth of Allaah's descending and the like.
7.2.1 SO WHAT IS THE MEANING OF THE PART:
There is a "how" concerning Allaah - but it is unknown to us.
It can only be known by way of:
- Seeing directly or
- A report of someone truthful
- And none of these exist concerning how Allaah's Attributes are.
7.2.2 SO THE MEANING OF "WITHOUT HOW" IS
"WITHOUT RELATING HOW"
- And it does not mean to deny any "how" for
Allaah's Attributes, for that would be pure Ta'teel.
- So what's the meaning
of the part "without meaning"?
- Ahmad is talking about the twisted
meanings of the people of Ta'teel who adopted non-apparent meanings. This is
also shown by what Ibn Taymeeyah says: "All the scholars ... are agreed
upon having Faith in ... without giving explanation..." He means the
explanation of the people of Ta'teel.
- Hence the word "meaning" or "explanation" is of two kinds:
184.108.40.206 The Acceptable Meaning/Explanation - which
the Companions and their followers were upon i.e. the most apparent meanings
which befit Allaah's Greatness.
220.127.116.11 The Unacceptable Meaning/Explanation - which
the Companions and their followers were not upon.